Before you scroll down, try to position yourself as a consumer. Then, tell us how you feel after making a purchase that was backed by stellar customer service.
You’ll have a lot of fun, you’ll feel appreciated, and you’ll want to shop there again in the end.
However, how do you feel when you get bad service?
You will definitely feel angry, want to say harshly, and do not want to buy there again.
Well, those two experiences are called customer experience.
All customers want to have a pleasant experience. And, every business also wants to provide the best service in order to get loyal customers.
But the question: “how?”
Well, in this article you will learn about customer experience. Starting from the understanding, benefits, to the right application strategy in way of doing business .
Without further ado, let’s get started!
What is Customer Experience?
The term “customer experience” refers to the impressions made on a client after interacting with your company. Whether when you are new to the business or when you have become a loyal customer.
In other words, all ways of doing business can create a customer experience. Starting from the ads you post, website performance when visited, the buying process at online stores, the duration of order delivery, to the security of your packaging.
All these stages must be able to give a good impression. That way, your customer journey, aka the customer journey , will be smoother and more enjoyable.
So that you are clearer, here are some examples of good customer experience:
- Being able to access the website quickly and easily
- Receiving thanks via email after making an online transaction
- Getting informative and relevant content related to product use
- Receiving quick responses to customer success on various channels such as telephone and live chat
- Easily convey criticism and suggestions about the products used
- Get a friendly welcome every time you visit an online store
- Get the opportunity to be involved in product development through surveys
If all of the above is not obtained by a consumer, it is very likely that the business has not provided an optimal customer experience.
Oh yes, this customer experience is different from customer service, you know!
The difference between customer experience and customer service is in scope. Customer service focuses on the customer experience when they need and receive help from you. For example, asking via live chat, asking for a refund, complaining about too little rice, and the like.
So, customer service is a small part of the customer experience.
Why is a Good Customer Experience Important for Business?
It may sound cliche, but really.. the customer is king. That is, the consumer must be the center of attention of each of your business processes.
Especially now, the role of consumers in the success of a business is quite large, you know! The reason is, satisfied consumers can provide up to 14 times more income, you know.
In the process, 9 out of 10 people will read reviews from other customers to know the customer experience of a product. If they are not satisfied, of course they will not buy the product.
So, ensuring happy customers is important so that they will become loyal customers and the money will flow quickly into your wallet.
7+ Strategies to Improve Customer Experience that are Proven Effective
Here’s a complete strategy to create a memorable customer experience for your business.
1. Build a Customer Obsession Culture
This first method is very important.
Profit can still be the focus of your business, but putting customers first is no longer an option. This is mandatory.
Now, with a business culture that focuses on consumers, every business process that is carried out will pay attention to the customer value that you are able to provide.
Is it profitable? Of course! 60% of businesses that put customers first are proven to get better profits, really.
Therefore, immediately change your business culture to put customers first. Make customer satisfaction the main reason in every decision you make.
Then, don’t forget to announce it to all your employees and ask them to commit to implementing it. Good customer experience starts from your own internal business.
2. Understand Your Target Audience
How is it possible to build a good customer experience without
knowing your customer?
For example, are your customers male or female, how old are they, what are their hobbies, what social media platforms are used, and so on.
Well, you can find answers to all of these questions by creating buyer personas.
Buyer personas allow you to create customer profiles that look as if they were real. That is, this technique can help you to understand your audience better.
Therefore, market research you need to carry out in-depth
3. Determine USP that focuses on customers
USP or Unique Selling Point is the uniqueness that distinguishes your business from competitors. USP is what makes consumers buy your product compared to competitors’.
USP takes many forms. But, to build the maximum customer experience, creating a USP that focuses on customer satisfaction is highly recommended.
So, it’s not just USP that is related to product features.
Say, you have an online pet shop business that sells various pet cat needs.
So, instead of just prioritizing the quality of the wet food being sold, you can also give free wood packing or discount treats every Saturday.
4. Make Your Customers Feel Special
Like girlfriends, customers also like to be treated special. What’s more, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to do it.
For example, here are some things to build a customer experience to make your customers feel special:
- Send a thank you email after the customer buys your product
- Give a special voucher for the birthday
- Say a prayer for the customer at the end of every telephone conversation
- Run UGC campaigns through social media to appreciate the work of your
- Conduct online customer meetups to build closeness with customers
Try some of the ways above and ask if it all makes them happy.
5. Build Emotional Relationships with Customers
Did you know, businesses that are able to establish strong relationships with customers can increase their sales by up to 85 %?
In other words, a strong emotional connection is one surefire strategy for creating a good customer experience.
There is one quite interesting example from Zappos, an e-commerce from the United States.
One day, a Zappos customer was late returning the shoes he bought because his mother had died.
Knowing this, Zappos sent a courier to pick up the shoes free of charge. Then, they also sent a bouquet of flowers as a sign of condolences.
This incident made an impression on the customer’s heart and became the talk of many people. Not about the free returns, but about the emotional touch that Zappos makes.
Therefore, treat customers as you would treat fellow human beings. Don’t be afraid to get personal, joke around when necessary, show empathy, listen to what they have to say, and the like.
6. Ask Customers Directly
What makes your customers satisfied? Don’t expect it, just ask them directly!
There are several ways to ask your customers, including:
- Through live chat when customers contact you regarding product information or submit complaints.
- Conduct a survey on the website. You can easily create one using a free WordPress plugin like YOP Poll, Quiz and Survey Master, or Crowd Signal.
- Conduct customer interviews. Ask your customers a few questions after making a purchase. Remember, don’t forget to ask permission first. Even better if you give bonuses or gifts after the interview.
A common practice is to ask customers to rate between 1-10 different aspects of your business.
For example, “On a scale of 1-10, how much value do you give to ease of transaction?” or “Between 1-10, how likely are you to recommend this product to friends and family?”
That way, you can clearly know which aspects of your business need to be improved, maintained or eliminated. Easy enough, right?
7. Improve Customer Service Quality
Improving the quality of customer service will directly have an impact on a better customer experience. In fact, it can increase your product sales.
The proof is, 52% of customers want to make another purchase after getting good customer service, you know.
Then, how do you improve the quality of your customer service? Don’t worry, we have a few tips:
- Provide 24/7 customer support
- Always respond to customer comments on all your social media
- Install a live chat or WhatsApp plugin on your website
- Mention your customers’ names when interacting with them
- Don’t forget the three magic words: sorry, please, thank you .
- Send emails in a relaxed writing style
Business Examples with Stunning Customer Experiences
After knowing some of the strategies, here are some examples to inspire you to build a good customer experience:
As the world’s largest e-commerce, Amazon always has cool innovations to prioritize customer satisfaction. Some of them, namely:
- Simplify customer transactions with Amazon Prime. Plus, fast delivery and free shipping for certain areas.
- Creating products as one-stop shopping media with Kindle. So, customers can buy books and read them in one device.
- Providing convenience for shopping transactions that are not only cashless, but also cashierless in the style of Amazon Go.
Come on, who likes snacks at Starbucks? Did you know that Starbucks has training for new employees that deserves a thumbs up?
Starbucks runs its new employee training with a 70/20/10 approach.
This means that 70% of the training is hands-on practice, 20% is mentoring from special trainers, and 10% comes from online classes.
The training was also not only about serving consumers, but also about the history of Starbucks. So employees know how Starbucks culture is and how it impacts the lives of people around the world.
Well, this training is deliberately instilled so that every Starbucks employee is happy and proud of his work. In effect, they will serve all customers with a smile.
Tripadvisor also presents various innovations to improve the customer experience, you know! Some of them:
- Facilitate customer refunds with a refund up to 4 hours before departure.
- Makes check-in easier because it can be directly from the application without having to go to a hotel or tourist spot directly.
- Provide customer service to ask questions and consult easily via WhatsApp.
- Providing special discounts, additional facilities, and free services through the Elite Rewards Ticket program for their loyal customers.
Come on, Maximize Your Business Customer Experience Right Now!
Now, you already understand how good customer experience is, right?
In essence, consumers must be the center of attention of each of your business processes. That way, you can provide a holistic experience that makes consumers happy.
In effect, consumers will become loyal and will not hesitate to recommend your business to others.
Well, you can make it happen with the customer experience strategy that we have discussed above, namely:
- Build a culture of customer obsession
- Understand your target audience
- Define a customer-oriented USP
- Make customers feel special
- Build emotional relationships with customers
- Ask questions directly to customers
- Improve the quality of customer service
- Take advantage customer experience management platform